My defining moment with wine came during an introduction to wine tasting course when I tasted my first really mature wine – Moulin Touchais 1986. The capacity of wine to change and develop complexity over time captured my imagination. And why had I never heard of this wine or Chenin Blanc before? I realised that there was much more to wine than meets the eye and felt compelled to investigate further!
Today – many Loire missions later – I contribute to Oz Clarke Pocket Wine Book on the Loire, judge the Decanter World Wine Awards Loire category and lend my taste buds to Interloire’s quality-focused Ambassador projects aimed at uplifting the quality of the region’s Cabernet Franc and Sauvignon Blanc.
The annual Salon de Vins de Loire in February gives me a first taste of the new vintage and an opportunity to taste as widely as possible. Visits, often with my fellow wine writer and friend, Jim Budd, give me a picture of what’s happening “on the ground.” What Jim doesn’t know about the Loire isn’t worth knowing – see for yourself at jimsloire.blogspot.com. And check out my reports below for the Ahmed perspective.
The Loire Reports
- Moulin Touchais Coteaux du Layon vertical (1953-2003)
- My pick of the bunch: 2010 Central Loire Sauvignon Blanc
- Loire Salon 2010: Montlouis & Vouvray highlights
- Château Pierre Bise – Coteaux du Layon Les Rouannières vertical & latest releases
- Domaine des Rochelles new releases & La Croix de la Mission vertical
- Loire Salon 2010 – Central Vineyard highlights, Sauvignon Blanc & Pinot Noir
- Chinon, Chi-yes and other Loire goodies!
- The Salon 2010, Coteaux de l’Aubance highlights
- The Salon 2010, Anjou-Villages Brissac 2008 highlights
- The Salon 2010, Jasnières & Coteaux du Loir highlights
- Domaine Huet – a focus on Demi-sec Vouvray, tasting the 2008s and select older vintages back to 1949
- 2008 & 2009 – Loire odysseys
- 2007 – Loire odysseys
- 2006 – Loire oddyseys
- Domaine Baumard tasting
- The Wine Detective Loire tasting 2005
- Richards Walford portfolio tasting, 2005
- Domaine Huet, pre-auction tasting at Christies, 2004